Dates – 20 (5oz or 150g)
Water – approx 1/2 cup, for soaking
Walnuts – 1/4 cup (30 g), chopped
Sweetened Condensed Milk – 14oz can (396g)
Unsalted Butter – 1 stick (4oz or 113g)
Baking Soda – 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
All-purpose Flour – 1 1/4 cups (183 g)
If you would like to use eggs, just add one egg and reduce the amounts to 1 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
1. Soak the Dates in warm water for about 30 minutes just to soften them.
2. Sift the All Purpose Flour along with the Baking Powder and the Baking Soda.
3. Press down on any lumps.
4. Make a paste of the Dates using as little water as possible either in a blender or a food processor.
5. Melt the butter so it is soft and mix it to the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda & baking powder).
6. Mix in the Dates paste and the Sweetened Condensed Milk. Mix well.
7. Fold in the Walnuts as well.
8. Spray/Grease a baking pan and pour the batter into it.
9. Bake in a pre-heated oven (180 degrees C/350 degrees F) for 40 minutes in the center of the oven.
10. Once done, take the cake out and allow it to stand for 5 minutes before taking it out of the pan.
11. Loosen the edges and flip the cake onto a cooling rack.
12. Serve hot or cold.
1. Replace the dates with fruit – pineapples (sounds good)!
2. If you are planning to frost the cake, allow it to cool all the way thru.
3. If the oven door is open in-between according to the temperature some oven will need 50min to bake.