* Buy Together & Subscriptions orders are not eligible for Cashback
Free shipping over $25
Free Shipping on All Orders Over $25.
You may request a return within 30 days from the date the product is shipped.
All returns may be tentative on brand approval.
Yellow Buttercake With Fudge Frosting
Food & Drink
butter/non-stick cooking spray for pans
3 1/4 cups (425gm) cake flour plus a little extra for dusting the pans
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (225gm) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups (400gm) finegrain sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
6 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups (360mL) whole milk
for the fudge frosting
1 1/2 cups (340gm) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 1/2 cups (690gm) confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon finegrain salt
1/4 cup (60mL) heavy cream
8 ounces (225gm) semisweet chocolate melted and cooled
1 teaspoon maldon salt flakes (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and butter two 8 inch cake pans and set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar and mix on medium-high until the butter is light and fluffy. Add the sugar and mix on medium-high until the butter is light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
4. Turn the mixer to medium-low and add the vanilla and egg yolks, one at a time. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
5. Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix on medium for no more than 30 seconds after the last streaks of the dry ingredients are combined.
6. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans.
For the Fudge Frosting
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low, gradually add the confectioner's sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Pour in the cream and mix until incorporated. Turn the mixer to high and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Add the chocolate and mix until smooth.
2. To assemble the cake: Once the cakes have completely cooled, carefully halve them horizontally (I didn't do this) to create four even layers of cake. Level the cakes and choose which layer will be at the bottom. Place it on a plate or serving dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the frosting with an offset spatula. Place the next layer of cake on the top and repeat. Frost with remaining fudge frosting. Sprinkle the top of the frosted cake with a little maldon salt flakes if desired.