2 cans pie filling – we used apple and blueberry (you can also make your favorite fruit filling from scratch!)
1 egg (for egg wash)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
2. Unroll one of the pie crusts onto a clean surface. Cut into quarters.
3. Take the pie dough and press one quarter gently into each of the mason jars to form the crust. Smooth out any lumps.
4. Fill the pies about 3/4 of the way with the fruit filling.
5. Unroll the second pie crust. For a decorative crust, use a mason jar lid to cut out circles for the top crusts. Use a knife to cut two slits in the center, forming an "x," for a vent. To make a lattice crust, cut about 40 strips of the pie dough, weave together into a lattice pattern.
6.Use a mason jar lid to cut out circles from the lattice crust for the topping. Carefully place the crusts on your mason jar pies. You can add additional crust cutouts if you wish.
7. Press the edges of the top crusts against the bottom crusts to create a seal, then gently press down with a fork.
8. Whisk an egg and brush it on the tops of the crusts with a pastry brush.
9. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
10. (optional, but suggested) Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Mason jars aren’t just cute, they’re remarkably convenient for baking sweet treats. That’s why you’re going to love making these adorable Mini Mason Jar Pies!
They’re the perfect size – not a bite over the average slice of pie – and they can be eaten right out of the jar! How’s that for convenience?