Gather the appropriate materials and learn how to etch glass with our step-by-step instruction and you can customize and decorate all sorts of glassware to give as gifts or keep for yourself.
Tools and Materials
Glass surface for etching
Stencils, vinyl stick-on letters, or decorative tape
Contact paper (to make your own stencil)
Craft knife (to make your own stencil)
Paper towels or sponge
1. Wash the glass surface with soap and water, then wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue.
2. To make your own stencil, first draw your design or print a template on printer paper.
Place the printer paper over a sheet of contact paper and use a craft knife to cut out the pattern, slicing through both layers of paper.
3. Place adhesive stencils, contact paper stencils, or vinyl stick-on letters where desired on glass surface, then use a bone folder to smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles.
4. Use painters' tape to line the edges of your stencil and cover any areas you don’t want frosted.
5. Wearing rubber gloves, use a paintbrush to dab a thick, even layer of etching cream onto the stencil cutouts.
Brush the cream in two directions to prevent brushstrokes on the finished project.
Let the cream sit on the glass for about 15 minutes, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Rinse off the cream under running water; remove the stencils and tape. Wash the piece with soap and water before using it.
You can buy the etching paste at Wal-Mart or any craft store. Here is a link to purchase on Amazon.com:
Armour Etch Cream, 10-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BE3UM4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WQTMvbRYA0W6Z