4 pounds beef soup bones
1 onion, unpeeled and cut in half
5 slices fresh ginger
1 tablespoon salt
2 pods star anise
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 quarts water
1 (8 oz) bag package dried rice noodles
1 1/2 pound beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 bunch tai basil
1 lime cut into 4 wedges
1/4 cup hoisin sauce (optional)
1/4 cup chile garlic sauce (such as siracha) (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. (220 degrees C.)
2. Place beef bones on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until browned, approx. 1 hr.
3. Place onion on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until blackened and soft, approx. 45 mins.
4. Place bones, onion, ginger, salt, star anise and fish sauce In a large stockpot and cover with 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 6 to 10 hrs. Strain broth into a saucepan and set aside.
5. Place rice noodles in large bowl filled with room temperature water and allow to soak for 1 hr. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and after the noodles have soaked place them into the boiling water for 1 minute. Bring stock to a simmer.
6. Divide noodles between 4 serving bowls; top with sirloin, cilantro, and green onion. Pour hot broth over the top. Stir and let sit until beef is partially cooked and no longer pink, approx. 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with bean sprouts, tai basil, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and siracha sauce on the side.